Wednesday, April 16, 2014

RIP Daphne


I planted this Daphne odora 'Marginata' on the one year anniversary of Evan's death. I picked the Daphne specifically because it would bloom around the time of Evan's birthday on February 1st. I also chose the Daphne because we shared a special moment sniffing the lovely flowers sometime around Evan's second birthday. So, she's been pretty happy there at the end of our sloped driveway for more than 6 years. I was a bit concerned about the location, because Daphnes like sharp drainage, and I wasn't sure she'd get it there. But she seemed happy, so I let her be. This winter was pretty brutal even for us in the Deep South. We're not used to single digit temperatures, and unfortunately, some of our plants are not coming back this spring. My Daphne was hit hard by the 6 degree morning we had in January. The leaves died back at the time. I thought, "well, I'll wait and see if the leaves start coming back on when it warms up." I got around to doing my late winter clean-up routine in March, and snipped back some of the Daphne's branches to see if there was any green in there or just brown. I was stoked that there was green! All of the branches had green! So, I patiently waited for more signs of life. And, I waited. It's probably been a month now and nothing. So, I'm assuming that she's not coming back. My mom has already given me a replacement Daphne. I just have to find a good place for her. I am sad to have lost something I planted for Evan. Hopefully, I can make up for it with some nice, new plants for his garden this summer. RIP, Daphne! You will be missed!

1 comment:

Mom said...

It was a beautiful plant. Enjoy the new one.