Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April Showers Bring April Flowers



We've had a fair amount of rain this month. We were even in the severe weather watches this week, but thankfully, we just came away with some rain and a bit of wind. I went out before the rain thinking that a lot of blooms would be knocked off in the bad weather that was predicted. In Evan's Garden I now have three Baptisia australis plants, or False indigo: one white, one blue, and the newest one: yellow! I had been wanting a yellow one for years, but never timed my visit to the nursery in time to get one...until this year! Evan loved yellow flowers, so I'm pleased I have the yellow version now.


Sorry for the blurry pic.




I just picked up some new plants from Pike's Nursery with a gift card from my in-laws. I thought I'd get a couple of more pricey things that I'd never get if I was just shopping on my own. So, I got two Peonies. This one has big, red flowers (Evan's favorite color!) and is called Buckeye Belle. 



I also just installed some annuals for my front beds. I went with a couple shades of Angelonia, a Penta in the center, and Zinnias up front. I hope they will be pretty there, and attract lots of bees.


I put a new Tiarella cordifolia Foamflower in Evan's Garden. I had one in that bed several years ago. It flourished for years and then, all of a sudden, it was gone. It's good to have another one.


My hardy Geraniums have gotten big, and need dividing. This might be the year I actually do it! Their common name is cranesbill.


A pretty honeysuckle on the arch in Evan's Garden.


Deutzia gracilis "Chardonnay Pearls," aka Duncan has been magnificent this year. The one in Evan's Garden looked a bit peaky last fall. I thought it was dead, but she's come back nicely.


I tried to get a decent picture of my little Dodecatheon in my woodland garden. They are called Shooting Stars. You can really see why in that side view, in spite of the quality of the photo. One of these days I'll get a nice one.

There are several plants that didn't come back, including my Columbines and Foxgloves. Both were in Evan's Garden. I'm bummed, but I can't say it was completely unexpected given the rough winter we had. I'm pleased that so many things did come back. Although, I could have had fewer weeds!

1 comment:

F Moseley said...

Very nice. What a wonderful way to remember a wonderful little boy.